The 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter
In 1916, the Standing Liberty quarter design replaced the Liberty Head (Barber) quarter that had been issued from 1892 to 1916. The Standing Liberty quarter was designed by Hermon MacNeil, whose initial "M" appears above and to the right of the date.
According to "A Guide Book of United States Coins", popularly known as the "Red Book":
The left arm of Liberty is upraised uncovering a shield in the attitude of protection. Her right hand bears the olive branch of peace.
The 1916 Standing Liberty quarter is a well-known key date in U.S. numismatics. Because the changeover from the Liberty Head design to the Standing Liberty design happened late in the year, only 52,000 coins were issued, and only by the Philadelphia mint. Here are photos of an exceptionally high-grade example showing a full head on Liberty (typically an area of weak strike):
1916 Standing Liberty Quarter Obverse
1916 Standing Liberty Quarter Reverse
The design of the Standing Liberty quarter was modified in 1917. Liberty's exposed breast was covered by mail. The reverse has a new arrangement of stars and the eagle is higher. Both variations of the design were issued in 1917.
The Standing Liberty quarter was issued until 1930. No quarters were made in 1931. In 1932, the Washington quarter was introduced.
The photos above were taken by .
Copyright © 2005 The Willamette Coin Club